Having attended numerous board game events in various capacities, including as a paying visitor, a press member, and part of a demo team, I’ve gathered valuable insights that can enhance your experience at these exciting gatherings. Board game events offer a unique atmosphere where passion, excitement, and a plethora of gaming possibilities converge. To ensure you make the most of your experience, consider the following tips:
Plan Ahead and Prioritize:
- Start planning early, considering your travel, accommodation, and ticket arrangements. Look for special accommodation deals but also explore options that suit your needs.
- Book tickets in advance, as some events may not offer on-the-spot admissions.
- Plan your convention schedule, prioritizing activities, featured games, tournaments, and workshops that interest you.
- Utilize tools like the Tabletop Together Tool or lists on Board Game Geek to track games and releases available at the event.
While You’re There:
- Explore demo tables to try out games before purchasing. Publishers often showcase their latest releases, providing an excellent opportunity for hands-on experiences.
- Don’t hesitate to try new games and genres at demo tables. Take advantage of knowledgeable volunteers or even game designers offering insights.
- Participate in open gaming sessions; they are the heart of many conventions. Join impromptu gaming groups, try new games, and immerse yourself in the communal joy of gaming.
Look After Yourself:
- Stay hydrated by bringing a refillable water bottle. Exhibition halls can be dehydrating, so sip regularly.
- Pack energy-boosting snacks and consider a meal plan to ensure you stay energized.
- Get adequate rest; listen to your body and take short breaks when needed. Consider leaving the halls to reset and recharge.
- Wear comfortable shoes and dress in layers to adapt to varying temperatures within exhibition halls.
- Bring a backpack for essentials. Check event rules on trolley suitcases.
- Take hand sanitizer and wet wipes for hygiene.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of toilets and seek recommendations from event staff for the best facilities.
- Pace yourself to fully enjoy the convention without burning out.
Last Few Tips:
- Consider bringing a backpack for convenience in carrying snacks and stowing away items.
- Pacing yourself will allow you to fully enjoy the convention experience without burnout.
- If you have any additional tips, feel free to share them in the comments.
By incorporating these tips into your board game event experience, you can enhance your enjoyment, discover new games, and make lasting memories in the vibrant world of board gaming.